Many thanks to Nancy Chuang, who is currently in Ghana updating the Bradt Guide for the 8th edition, for these useful news snippets:
AKWIDAA/EZILE BAY: A new chief for Akwidaa was installed in 2017, and everyone says this has made things safer for tourists.
CAPE THREE POINTS: If you are self-driving to Escape 3 Points, definitely call for directions. There is a somewhat less-terrible road through the rubber plantation that branches off the Princess Town road, and it doesn’t appear on Google Maps. Also Barbara, a young woman from the Canary Islands, does fantastic massages on Escape’s newish yoga platform, surrounded by trees, for 50 cedis 30 minutes, 90 cedis 1 hour.
- Hacienda Bar and Hayford Lounge both closed, but Sahara Pub is an excellent replacement. “Coast2Coast has a new owner, it’s now called He.Hill.Li.
- Gramophone Records Museum is definitely still closed.
- Oasis (0243022594, firstname.lastname@example.org) has added guards and more cameras, they say they haven’t had reports of theft in a long time.
- Prospect Lodge no longer has a restaurant.
- Sammo is yellow, not pink.
- Orange Beach Bar has rooms now. Self-contained for 45 cedis, rooms or dorm with shared bath 20.
- Natural Bamboo is a new ultra-basic place right next to Orange Beach Bar, without separate road access. Shared bucket shower, 45 for private room, 20 for dorm bed. Whatsapp Kobi at +233248189630.
- Ridge Royal is the first upmarket place to open in Cape Coast. In suburban/hills area. $160 double, and higher. Ridgeroyalhotel.com.gh, email@example.com 0312003222 for reservations.
- Dizzy Lizzie’s rooms are now available. firstname.lastname@example.org 90 cedis self-contained, entrance next to kitchen/bar.
- Korkor Inn has gotten seedy and Soon Come Lodge wasn’t open when I visited. If you’re looking for a shoestring place in Kokrobite, the long-standing Just 1954 is right on the beach for 50 cedis, self-contained fan rooms. Close to the new British-Ghanaian-owned Atlantic Beach Bar & Grill, and some newer construction.
- Solo Monkey Forest: It doesn’t seem necessary to go to Tsokomey Natural Center first, which isn’t nearby. Most taxis/mototaxis know how to reach the forest directly. Caretaker is Komietey, 0274025308. 20 cedis to see monkeys.
- The West Hills Mall is under the Accra section, but it’s also the nearest ATMs to Kokrobite. Share taxi to Barrier, then ask the taxi to continue to mall for a few more cedis.